though i have a hometown, ottawa, i am a nomad at heart. this blog will take you with me on my travels near and far. currently said travels are taking place in Guatemala and they will continue for the next 4 months (at least). stop by for my regular updates coupled with photos it just might make the cold land you hail from feel that much warmer (or colder if you are the jealous type).

Sunday, April 25

a new chapter

first off let me apologize for my lax attitude as of late on this, my blog. for the past 3 weeks my friend marc joined me for 1.5 weeks in guatemala and utila, honduras. i wont catch you up completely as so much has happened but i do hope in my down time to update bit by bit on the amazing good times.


tomorrow morning i will be leaving the island of utila by catamaran to the island of roatan,  5 hour sail. i am heading there with 3 new friends that ive been diving with over the past 2.5 weeks to meet a 'captain bill'. to arrange our papers in order to help him crew his sailboat to rio dolce, guatemala! this is a dream i have had for a long time, to crew a sailboat. i first had the idea in australia but i could not convince a captain to train me on his boat, as suck i was left wanting. again in indonesia and in thailand, i just couldnt catch a break. until now.


captain bill is an 80 something texan who desperately needs crew to help him get his sailboat from roatan to rio dolce for the upcoming hurricane season. we saw a sign on a message board (one on the road not on the internet) asking for experienced crew for an ALL EXPENSE paid sail. we called anyway. he was reluctant and reiterated his desire for experienced sailors but the next day he called back. i think he was worried that none would come forward and couldnt risk it. needing to get the boat back he has decided to take the chance. yay for us.


we are taking the cat tomorrow and captain bill is going to pay for it! once arriving there, a more expensive island than utila, he is going to let us stay on his boat while our immigration is sorted out. and with luck on wednesday we will head out on our way for what will either be a 2 -3 day sail. on which we will be expected to do everything (whatever that is, i will let you know when i find out).


now just a few pictures on my desktop from the past few weeks here on utila.


me underwater 20 meters

me and dora down at 25 meters

me and friends at water key (i am second from the right)

No comments:

Post a Comment