though i have a hometown, ottawa, i am a nomad at heart. this blog will take you with me on my travels near and far. currently said travels are taking place in Guatemala and they will continue for the next 4 months (at least). stop by for my regular updates coupled with photos it just might make the cold land you hail from feel that much warmer (or colder if you are the jealous type).

Tuesday, January 12

and away we go....



here i sit in the ottawa airport, waiting and waiting. today i am waiting longer than 'normal' as there are heightened security concerns. so rather than rushing in at the last minute (as i normally do) i got here WAY TO EARLY. lets talk a minute about heightened security, what does it mean. when passing through security for 15 minutes i learned that it means a full body pat down (good times) no shoes (of course) no bag (kidding me?) so add that all together what does it equal? i saw a 90 year old lady in a wheelchair getting the most awkward pat down i have ever seen! and for good cause i mean who would want to profile, that would be terrible just plain wrong. little old ladies in wheelchairs wouldn't be 'harassed' by security and i wouldn't be juggling my carry-ons (laptop, camera+gear and a book) as bags are no longer permitted (did i mention...kidding me?) that would be terrible, wouldn't it? as for my sarcastic commentary of the state of security (perceived or real...i say the former), that's enough, for now at least.

now lets talk about the fact that my adventure begins today! that’s right after many a moon the time is nigh the day is upon us (or me). but today started a bit differently than a usual departure day as i found myself sitting in a surgeon's waiting room at 7:30am nervously awaiting a biopsy just below my lip. yesterday, my dentist who happened upon it stuck the FEAR in me as he alluded to the fact that it could be the big C (cancer) he kindly booked me an early appointment this AM ensuring that i make my flight (11:35). from the waiting room to the operating room, fingers gripping the armrest, colour draining from my face. first the topical disinfectant (making me look like my 1 year old nephew after a plate of spaghetti, then the local. 2 shots for good measure, ouch! talking is now ridiculous, i am starting to look and sound like bubba from forest gump. alright, time to excise...ouch! what a great way to start a day, with that as part of my schedule i would never need coffee to wake up. the good news, speculated yes but also good, the surgeon did not 'think' it was the big C he was more moderate with his guesses that the dentist. allowing me to leave on my adventure with fewer health concerns occupying my thoughts. of course i still need to wait for the results but i am confident that this is now sorted.






back to 'now' in the airport. the freezing is wearing off and the real pain begins. i have just taken a picture of my silly looking face so you can share in my pain. wow, writing sure passes the time, i am now only 1 hour away from boarding. oh joy.

i will leave you now knowing that when i can 'plug-in' again, you will be there. and you can rest assured that i will be back very regularly if not daily to rant, rave and share.

2 comments:

  1. Have fun Damon...keep us posted (on both adventure and test results)! Say hi to the warm sunshine for us :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. my first comment! thanks gen! will do (result wise) but trying to put it out of my mind for there is nothing i can do at this juncture but have fun and enjoy life! as for the sun, he says hi back but i must admit as the days are warm the nights are cool. no, there is no snow so i have no right to comment like that to someone in ottawa but for a guy who only brought one pair of pants and 'light lulu' jacket i am feeling rather under dressed. be well.

    ReplyDelete